What is a bar code scanner?
Principles of bar code reading
- A bar code consists of white and black bars. Data retrieval is achieved when bar code scanners shine a light at a bar code, capture the reflected light and replace the black and white bars with binary digital signals.
- Reflections are strong in white areas and weak in black areas. A sensor receives reflections to obtain analog waveforms.
- The analog signal is converted into a digital signal via an A/D converter. (Binarization)
- Data retrieval is achieved when a code system is determined from the digital signal obtained. (Decoding process)
Types of bar code scanners
This method uses a semiconductor device called CCD(Charge Coupled Device), which converts light signals into electric signals
The CCD method bar code scanner has a built-in light. A scanner shines this light at a bar code and its reflection is captured via CCD for reading.
A bar code is captured once, allowing fast reading. There are no movable parts and impact resistance is excellent.
Laser light is shone on the label surface and its reflection is captured by a sensor (laser photo detector) to read a bar code. A laser beam is reflected off a mirror and swept left and right to read a bar code.
Using laser allows reading of distant and wide bar code labels.
This method only has a LED light source and a sensor to capture its reflection. Since a person moves a scanner to read a bar code, practice is required for operation.
The mechanism is simple, making this method inexpensive.
- Windows CE - WM Terminals
- BHT-1300 CE Series - New!
- BHT-1200 Series CE
- BHT-700 Series CE
- Windows CE Terminals Legacy
- Basic OS Terminals
- BHT-1300 Series
- BHT-900 Series
- BHT-600 Series
- BHT-800B Series
- BHT 300 Series
- Basic OS Terminal Legacy
- Hand-Held Scanners
- AT20B - New!
- AT20Q - New!
- GT20 Series - New!
- SE1-QB - New!
- GT15 2D
- GT10 Series
- HC56 1D
- Hand-Held Scanners Legacy
- AT20B - New!
- Stationary Scanners
- Software for Basic OS Terminals
- Software for Scanners
- QR Code®
- Products Roadmap
- QR Code® Products - New!
09/10/2015 - Top-selling models of DENSO ADC’s hand-held barcode terminals now provide...
01/13/2015 - Announced new BHT-1300-CE wireless and batch, 1-D and 2-D handheld...
09/19/2014 - DENSO ADC, the Americas sales arm of DENSO Wave Incorporated,...